Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Because you asked


Hi Everyone,

Gosh, I didn't know so many people would be interested in Antarctica. I want to answer all your questions with this post.

What boat did you go on?
My trip was booked on the Marco Polo ship via Orient lines. It was the last Antarctica cruise for the Marco Polo and so many of the people were on the ship just to be on its last voyage. And this was the second and third expedition to Antarctica for many passengers.

The Marco Polo is like a second home to many passengers. It is a simple, small ship, sailing 850 passengers to far away exotic places. Many wonderful memories, experiences and stories have filled the air of this ship. Alas, the ship has been sold; even after much protest from the faithful, loyal passengers. It no longer sails the seas of Antarctica.

Were you afraid?
A cruise ship of the Antarctica contains as many passengers; as they have lifeboats to accommodate. We had 500 passengers; as we only had 10 lifeboats.

Make sure the ship has a balancing mechanism to keep it from rolling when the seas get rough. I saw Russian ships along the way that did not and at port I heard their passengers got very sick.

Also, make sure the captain is ICE Certified. We had two captains that were certified. And, our ship was equipped with ice cutting machinery.

How did you prepare for the trip?
Kim bought me a book, "Antarctica" published by Lonely Planet and it was a great help before and throughout the trip. The pages are worn and tattered now.

After I returned home a friend bought me a beautiful book, "Antarctica - The Global Warning",
photography and text by Sebastian Copeland. Many of the photos in the book are of the same views and objects taken by me.

It was a good thing I did not see the book prior to me taking my pictures; as it would have intimidated me and I would have left my camera in the cabin.

The cruise line provides a list of items to take with you. The one problem I had was packing for the different temperatures. I already told you about my tip of taking old clothes that you can throw away along the trip.

The cruise line will also give you a list of food, beverage and health concerns and considerations.

Before a trip, I call the Board of Health and make an appointment. I tell them where I am going, bring my health records and they advise me on what inoculations I need to get before I leave. Give yourself as much time as possible, because there may be time intervals between inoculations and lead time to order the vaccine.

A few secrets...
I realized another tip that would be valuable, especially with the current restriction on luggage weight and number and that is to share your clothes.

If you are traveling with someone who is about your size, you can alternate your heavy clothes and boots between one another. The gender of the clothes does not matter and really the size doesn't either.

The cruise ship will not let you off the ship to board the rubber, Zodiac boat if you are not properly dressed in your survival gear.

In the past, people have been left at a landing for days, because the weather turned suddenly prohibiting access to the ship. They would not have survived if the clothing rules had been broken.

Each cabin is assigned to a color group. The boarding and landings of the Zodiacs is planned a day ahead by color group. The color groups are boarded on a rotating basis; starting early in the morning and continuing throughout the day. A color group that boards early on one day may board late on another day.

I suggest making a request to your ships expedition leader to allow one person in your cabin to go with one color group and the other person in the cabin go with another color group.

This plan will allow you to share your clothes and reduce at least one suitcase.

For example: if you're traveling companion leaves on the first departure; you would leave on the last departure.

And, there is another advantage to this plan. Sometimes weather does not permit every departure and some people in cabins are not permitted to go ashore. Using this plan the odds of both of you missing a boarding and landing is reduced.

Please get approval from the cruise ship line prior to putting the above plan in action.

And, the most helpful item on my trip was the walking stick. I didn't bring one with me, but a kind man gave me his. It may have saved a broken leg or worse. You can buy a pair on Kim's web site store and each use one to keep balanced and steady walking through the ice, slush, mud and guano.

My trip was a month long; as I like to get to a country two days before meeting up with the tour.

We started in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Our hotel was the Sheraton and it was right on the beach.
The famous Copacabana Palace Hotel is across from the beach, because years ago a huge avenue was put between the hotel and the beach. I liked the Sheraton better and it was a lot cheaper.

The cruise schedule: Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, Cross the Tropic of Capricorn, Itajai, Brazil, sail south on the Atlantic Ocean, Punta Del Este, Uruguay, Montevideo, Uruguay, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Montevideo, Uruguay ( good thing we had 2 planned stops; as the channel was closed on the previous scheduled stop ), south on the Atlantic Ocean, Puerto Madryn, Argentina, south on the Atlantic Ocean, Stanley, Falkland Islands, West Point, Falkland Islands, cruise The Strait of Magellan and Drake Passage ( I remember hearing these words in sixth grade ), cruise Deception and Cuverville Island, Lemaire Channel and Port Lockroy, Paradise Harbor, Half Moon Island, Cape Horn and Drake Passage ( the seas were really rough, only a handful of people at dinner and show ), Ushuaia, Argentina, Iguazu Falls, Argentina, Buenos Aires, Argentina to home.

South America is wonderful, our U.S. dollar is valuable there currently and it is a fun, exciting place to visit.

The expedition to Antarctica was a glimpse of simple, unspoiled nature. The animals were unmarked by humans and went about their life as if we did not exist.

We humans think we are so important in the habitation of the earth, but are we as beautiful as a bird flying across the sea, as gentle as a penguin with its egg, as wondrous as the towering ice burgs, as enduring as the majestic mountains, as loving to nature and the earth as we need to be?

Till next time,

Love,
Waldo

101 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your update. I'd love for you to post from time to time about other travels you've taken!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed hearing about your trip and would love hearing more. Would you also consider posting some of the pictures you took?

Anonymous said...

j

docreport said...

I live in Montevideo and everytime I see the cruise ships pull in I just want to go the port and stow away! Enjoyed the blog post.

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating trip that must have been! I had the great pleasure of hearing about Antarctica this past summer from Dr. Harry Owens, at a retreat at Pyramid Lake in the Adirondack Mountains in NY. He is probably back in Antarctica by now. Fascinating stories.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I read about it in Kim's Daily Tip.

KYTraveler said...

My trip to Antarctica was on a converted Russian research ship. It was small, 250 ft long & 45 ft wide, 23 crew and 48 passengers. 4 Zodiacs took us to places the ship couldn't go. Antarctica must be seen to be appreciated. It was awesome!! Some of my favorite pictures of all time were taken there.

Nicks Auto Repair Boulder CO. (hnicks) said...

What a great trip! You have raised a wonderful daughter! I love to listen to her talk about you. The love for you come from her voice!I know that you already know this but I just had to say how lucky you are to have such a loving daughter!

charlescmville said...

HI! Enjoyed reading about the boat trip. Kim's newsletter states that it's your birthday. I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time. ENJOY!
You appear to hve a really great family.
Good Job, Mom.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Komondo:
Happy Birthday, and have many, many, many more. Congratulations as well on having such a attractive and intelligent daughter. Enjoy reading her newsletters daily.

Anonymous said...

Loved the picture and the trip update. You also gave some very good advice. Also, Hau`oli Lā Hānau(Happy Birthday in Hawaiian).

Kitty said...

Happy Birthday! Today is also my daughter's b-day. And there's a full moon eclipse tonight -- very special :)

...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birhtday

Ray said...

My comment is to wish you a Happy Birthday. This comment box appears to be related to your Antarctica trip, but in one of Kim's emails this morning she mentioned today was your birthday, so have a great one and many more to you. Ray

Anonymous said...

Have a spectacular birthday, Mrs. K! I would enjoy reading about more of your travels, so anytime you'd like to start adding to your blog, please do so. I stop by to check it out on a regular basis.

I hope Kim fixes a delicious dinner for you to celebrate your special day!

Anonymous said...

Dropped by to wish you a very Happy Birthday! May God Bless You!
Sincerely,
K. McDonald, Freeport, Texas

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Momma K!

threecollie said...

Kim sent us to wish you Happy Birthday. Hope your day is spectacularly wonderful, great and joyous!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful trip you had. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

May the blessings you provided your family and friends be returned thrice fold..

May your day be met with gifts of love and laughter!

I enjoyed reading your blog as I lived in Alaska for some time..

Blessings!

Jackie Parris
parris2002@prodigy.net

Anonymous said...

i read it was your birthday on kim's site and just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!

Flanagan-Long Point Christian Church said...

Happy Birthday from Flanagan, Illinois! May you have many more. I enjoyed your post on your trip. It brought back many memories particularly of a boat not having stabilizers and the potential results!!

Anonymous said...

Have a Happy Birthday. Celebrate as much as you want.
From a Kim Sub. in Jamestown NY.

Jacob F. Roecker said...

Kim suggested we tell you happy-birthday! So "Happy Birthday!"

-Jacob Roecker

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

WELL WELL,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.!!!!
HOPE YOU HAVE MANY MANY MORE.
CLP.


PS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR DAUGHTER'S WRITINGS.

Kat said...

Hope you have a very happy birthday!

Terry said...

Happy Birthday Momma! Hope your day is fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

My comment is to simply say Happy Birthday. In one of Kim's emails this morning she mentioned today was your birthday, so have a great one and many more to you. You have a lovely daughter, so you should be proud.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday .. You have a very smart daughter and we hope you are very proud of her.. May you have a really great Birthday..

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize I'd get a geography lesson when your daughter, Kim, suggested I drop by to wish you a happy birthday! The trip to Antarctica sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Redding California. I wanted to take the time to wish you a Happy Birthay! May you have many more!

Unknown said...

2-9-09

It is good to hear that you take advantage of your opportunity to see God's beautiful world. And--to let the rest of us see it through your eyes, via your blog.

Have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Anonymous said...

What a great writer you are! Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Virginia, from a Kim's newsletter subscriber.

Unknown said...

Hope you have a great Birthday day......

Anonymous said...

happy birthday mom oops i called you mom and im sure many have wow you have such a talented daughter who has helped many with these crazy boxes,they call computers...she must have so much patience she got from you i trust...its nice to see how much fun you have...stay well and happy birthday from kellyscott

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Sandy-upstate NY

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
Love your Blog.
May you post many more entries.

Ed said...

Wow. That was some trip.

Happy Birthday and many more.

Ed - Boise, Idaho

BEKME said...

Happy Birthday Mother of Kim K

Wayne L

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Would love for this to be a regular blog, I want to bookmark it and come back often. You sound like a wonderful, fun-loving person. I need that in my life. Hope your day is extra
special!

Lisa Harper said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)
Lisa in NC
My husband is from Phoenix. Still haven't visited there, but hope to one day before I'm old and grey.
Enjoy your special day. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy birthday.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely blog you have! I was sent by Kim this morning to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you have a joyous, happy day today. Many Blessings, Samantha

Unknown said...

MAY HEAVEN'S ANGELS RAIN BLESSINGS UPON YOU ALL DAY LONG. BIRTHDAY SMILES YOUR WAY :)

Anonymous said...

Dear MommaK.
Happy Birthday greetings from Normal, Illinois.
Your Alaska trip sounds so exciting.
Have a Happy Day!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIM'S MOM! LOVE YOUR BLOG!~THE GOLFWIDOW

Anonymous said...

Dear Waldo;
Your account of your trip was truly inspiring and was enjoyed by this old man. Thank you.
I also want to wish you a happy birthday and continue being young.

SubDoc

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday...it is also my Birthday today....Hope you have a great day and many more.....

Anonymous said...

Heard from a little birdie that today is your birthday. Happy Birthday, Kim's Mom!! Have many, many more!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blogging. This is a Happy Birthday Wish to you from a Komando member. Your daughter helps millions daily. What a joy and legacy for you on this day of celebration.
Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I love listening to Kim on the radio. She's so knowledgeable. And sometimes she mentions something about you. You sound like a great person, too.
Now I am going to go back and read your blog!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a very special Mother!! You have a lovely, thoughtful daughter who is seing to it that you get lots of Birthday wishes. She is terrific & I'm sure you are too!

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your travel tips, I also have found that too many people get hung up on clothing & take far too many. Then they are worn out lugging them around.

I wish you felicitations on your birthday. The hope is in your enjoyment of another blessed day.

A Kansas reader

Anonymous said...

Have the happiest and best birthday ever! I read Kim's stuff every day, and like many people, feel like I know you both!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from Mississippi! Loved reading your blog.

Unknown said...

Love reading your blog. Here's to another exciting year! Happy Birthday from a fellow adventurer!!

Ronald said...

Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday

You are so lucky to have a daughter like Kim.
Not only does she keep many of us semi-geeks informed,
She was kind enough to let us wish her Mom a happy birthday.

The Antactic trip sounded fantastic. I'm doing a similar trip in 2010.

45'sOnly said...

Happy Birthday and many more happy healthy ones to come. Keep on enjoying life!

45'sOnly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from Fort Wayne, IN. Many more...

Kent

Anonymous said...

That was an amazing trip that you had!

Hope you have a very Happy Birthday and many, many more!

pattibeth said...

May your birthday be as beautiful as you are. Happiness always.
PattiBeth

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the gal I want to be like when I grow up (currently only 69 years old)!! Keep up the GREAT inspiration. Love your daughter's work as well!
becky

Anonymous said...

Hello Virginia,

Noticed Kim's announcement of your birthday on her web site today so Happy Birthday.

Marco Polo is still operating under new ownership and ship management. It is operated by a German Company, Transocean Tours, ww.transocean.de.

Allan, former Expedition Leader, Marco Polo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your trip. I enjoyed reading about it.

Have a Happy Birthday today!!!

Titleman's Blog said...

Happy Birthday from Titleman in Las Vegas

Anonymous said...

Hello and a very Happy Birthday!
(We Aquarians need to stick together...) My mother carried me until Valentine's Day and then resisted the impulse to name me "Valentine." I thank God for that! I enjoyed reading of your travels...and, I pray for many more enjoyable adventures for you in the future. I enjoy Kim's computer mentorship and Barry's (quite often) sardonic humor. Great family for you.
John of the Desert - Sun City, AZ
www.live365.com/stations/schumacherabds

Bonnie from Iowa said...

Happy Birthday! Your trip sounded wonderful and that last paragraph was beautifully written. I definitely will be visiting your blog often.
Live life to the fullest!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and many more!
You have an extra special daughter, as I am sure you know.
So that makes you special, too.

Anonymous said...

Happy B'day, Mama Kommando.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from another Aquarian (Feb. 15.) Now I know where Kim got her wonderful combination of curiosity, caring, adventure, and humor. (I'm long-time subscriber to Kim's web emails.) Also, as an "older" mom who made only 1 international trip, to China in 2006, I may never get aother chance for foreign travel, but I loved the description of your Anarctic trip & hope you will post more pictures and comments.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Kim's Mom

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Momma K.

BookChook said...

Happy Birthday from Australia!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! from Atlanta, GA. Your Daughter will love knowing that I listen to Her on WSB-750AM and have ever since 1997. I Hope & Pray that this 'HBD' brings You all the joy & happiness that You so richly deserve.

JOHN
Timestamp: Monday 09 Feb 2009, 16:54 --500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bob C said...

Happy Birthday Virginia from one of Kim's Project 28 Beta Testers.
I hope to visit with you again some day.
Keep on traveling!

Bob (n3ynd)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Momma K!
~Chicago Mary

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from one of Kim's biggest fans in OKLA. May you have many, many more.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Virginia and may you have many, many, many more. - Thank you for having such a wonderful, helpful daughter.

Judith in Georgia

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday.
The trip notes are great.

Anonymous said...

Hello there!!
Happy Birthday wishes from way down South in Cordele,Georgia.
Have a wonderful evening.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Virginia, Kim says it's your birthday. Hope it's shaping up to be a great one!
And wow, you have reared a great girl; she has taught me so much about computers; people think I've taken all sorts of courses.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Sounds like you had a spectacular trip!

sciencelife7

Anonymous said...

Hi mother of your freindly, helpful daughter Kim. Happy Birthday!!! May you have many more.

Jeanne said...

Happy Birthday Momma Komando! My the Lord bless you with all that you need and give you many more wonderful years!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday !!! May this be your best year ever with each subsequent year becoming even better.
May You be Blessed with Health, Wisdom and a Sense of Humor.

Happy Birthday from Florida.
Peggy

Anonymous said...

Dear Mom,
you are special to me. We have never met, yet I assure you that you are loved. I lost my biological mother just last year. Still I accord a wonder person, as yourself, the very same "motherhood" as my own. Why? Kim reflects, of necessity, the very same heart of caring, and discipline, requisite to adapt and endure life's many challenges. You did a great job in raising her. This accomplishment reflects upon your genuine qualities, as a mother, and a mentor. Thank you so much, you dear friend, johnbrandy. Please take care. You are truly loved.

Anonymous said...

Have a Happy Birthday and lots more.

Love,
Donald Smedberg

Anonymous said...

I hope your day has been a VERY Happy Birthday! I just wanted to say "thanks for being Kim's Mom"!

Just a little over 3 yrs ago I was given a computer by my brother-in-law and didn't even remember how to turn it on the next day. He suggested that I get Kim's newsletters and am ever so glad he did. She has really been a help in so many ways . . is a real jewel!

Again, I hope your day was good for you.

Joyce in Mississippi

Sandy Lou said...

Happy Birthday Kim's Mom! Love reading about your travels, and always look forward to Kim's newsletters too!

Anonymous said...

Birthdays are like flowers in the
garden of Life, my wish for you is
that your garden is filled to overflow with beautiful,
happy, and joyful flowers to color your Life. Enjoy your Garden.
God Bless,
John P.
Albuquerque New Mexico

Anonymous said...

This is just a 'birthday' shout out to you, from one of Kim's many
E-mail pals...with best wishes for the year ahead...and thanks you for bearing Kim; a true gift to cyber-society.

Anonymous said...

Hau'oli la Hanau!
Stopping by to send some warm birthday wishes from Maui, Hawaii.
I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your special day. Smiles, laughter, good company ... friends & loved ones sharing blessings, in your honor. Celebrate!
Aloha, Georgina ♥

Unknown said...

Great blog site and info that you share. I will check up on your site regularly from now on. Thanks for sharing.
I hope you had a wonderfully blessed birthday and many many more to come. I really appreciate your daughter and all the help she has been to us through the years of learning to use the computer.
Jim E.
Tucker, GA

Anonymous said...

Belated wishes for a Happy Birthday. Since I missed the actual day, how 'bout have a very happy year! -- joan

ChezChani said...

A belated Happy Birthday!!!! I'm way WAY behind on all things computer-related as I just switched computers...almost as big a pain as moving.

Unknown said...

Time to update your blog. What have you been up to lately?

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it